Thursday, April 12, 2007

Books and Movies

I'm sparticus!

I wish. Their bodies are godly. Now, I'm not gay, but I'm not afraid to say, THEIR BODIES ARE GODLY! (Ever heard of the phrase "glistening in the sun like a bronze greek god? NOW I KNOW WHY) There's a scene in this movie where you see a group of 300 Spartans marching towards the camera. Honestly, you've never seen a larger group of perfectly sculptured bodies all at once in your life. Perfect stuff. Very inspiring.

Oops, forgot to mention, I recently watched 300 (which is essentially about Leonidas and his last days), and I have to say, I loved it. The way it was directed was especially appealing. It had a very surreal look to it.. as if everything was fantastically mythical. All computer generated scenes blended splendidly with the overall feel for the movie, so there were no hollywood trademark "fake" scenes. It had an original scripting which was very boldly theatrical, and for me, refreshing. The chroreography of the fighting scenes deserves a special mention. They were so well blended, dynamic, and inventive, the eliteness of legendary spartan phalanx is more than believeable. Watching this movie was definitely an experience I wouldn't mind repeating some day soon. 4.5 stars/5. :D

As for books, I just finished reading 'Confessions of an Economic hitman'. Very intriguing, and a must-read for all conspiracy theorists. It's essentially a tell-all confession of a man who worked for the American government; whose mission was to financially indebt foreign countries by intiating a series of projects which would ensure that the respective nation would forever be indebted to U.S.. In this way, America could use them as leverage to ensure protection vs the traumatic effects of hypothetical trade embargos, or other such situations.

Obviously, there's much more to it, but far too much to get through in a simple blog. I simply recommend it. I hate politics, but this book intrigued me to no end! A definite favourite of mine.

Let it be known though I'm not the greatest critic in the world. In fact, I'm quite lousy at criticising material, as I pretty much only notice the good points about entertainment. :) Have fun.

2 comments:

Jeannie said...

How wicked is the movie its all basically cgi. haha... The guys abs are FAKE. The computer has perfected each of them...

Tony K. Tan said...

haha I'm not quite sure about that.