Sunday, April 8, 2007

Birth

No pain, no gain.

Spending like a maniac today.

- 2 non-wrinkle business shirts. RM150
- Trousers RM149
- Black leather shoes RM199
- Maintenance on glasses RM20
- Passport photos RM15
- Silver watch band RM56

Total : RM589

Granted, though in ringgit, it’s quite a hefty sum for me to blow in the space of a couple of hours, even after converting to $AUS or $SG.

Anyway, I feel great at the moment. After buying all my merchandise, I made my way to the bathroom to get changed. It’s quite an interesting revelation to recognize the way people treat you differently just because of what you’re wearing. Whilst I was wearing my shirt and cargos, nobody gave me a second look. However, after throwing on the suave, I can sense sales assistants addressing me much more politely, more attentively, and dare I say, with less confidence?

In any case, all this is really just preparation for next week when I make my way to Vietnam. My wardrobe consisted of embarrassing hand-me-downs from my brother and sister’s teenage days, as well as some other various articles of clothing which only served to assist in giving me that “big kid” look.

I arrived back yesterday afternoon and decided to practice some social engineering with the 4 aunts that my mother had invited to our place last evening. Imagining them to be important potential clients, I practiced everything I had studied in the last month in Singapore into the way I interacted with these aunts. Now, you may be thinking “pfft.. aunts. Could hardly compare them to the corporate tycoons that you’ll have to impress if you really want to make it.” Perhaps true, but if you’re Taiwanese, chances are, you know how analytical and gossipy 4 old ladies can be! They dedicate their lives to dissecting people’s character, morally, financially, socially, physically, and spiritually.

I think I did well. Mum and Dad were the most surprised though I believe. Mum even offered me a beer.. which, if you know my mum, IS REALLY FRICKEN STRANGE. In any case, last night was a good indication to me that I do perhaps have what it takes to be somewhat of a successful social engineer. Still feel incredibly out of my comfort zone though. Sore back from trying to keep it straight. (A life in front of a computer can do terrors to your spine). Tucking in my shirt is something I’m trying to get used to.. very suffocating and uncomfortable compared to letting it hang. Also, grooming myself is a bloody hassle. Why the hell do I have to keep myself clean shaven?! Urgh. I’ll tell you why Tony. Cos you’re asian, and you look ridiculous with a beard that is made up of 3 long hairs protruding from your chin. Everything from the cultured way I eat now, to the way I maintain complete attentiveness when others are talking, to the way I greet people with a formal smile and engage in confident conversation about political claptrap I couldn’t care less about; is difficult to get used to.

1 comment:

Jeannie said...

haha i can beat that... but i'll keep quiet now. actually if its aussie $'s its not that much to spend especially for the amount u bought. it would prob be much more expensive here.